Whilst I love sharing things that have gone swimmingly…I think it’s also good to share the stuff that doesn’t quite work.
I’ve learnt from this project…maybe someone else will too.
:: :: :: :: ::
I’ve had my eye on the Linden pattern since Grainline initially launched the pattern.
I love traditional sweatshirts but they don’t love me…I’m the wrong shape for them. Despite this I had high hopes of Linden opening up lots of opportunities for sweatshirt love.
Sadly…I don’t think it’s going to be the case. Be warned…this ain’t pretty!
I’m going to start out by saying that there is absolutely nothing wrong with this pattern. It’s my first Grainline pattern and it’s immaculately drafted and the instructions are really clear.
This is a clear case of hope triumphing over experience.
I know that raglan sleeves aren’t the best for me because I have sloping shoulders that don’t support the top of the sleeve.
I know I need to be cautious of scooped necklines…if they’re loose then they tend to slip and slide.
I knew I needed to do a FBA and that would involve adding a bust dart. In this case it’s still a tiny bit long and a tiny bit low. Which would be hidden in a plain fabric but isn’t on this striped fabric.
The fabric comes from the “what the hell was I thinking pile”!
And I know I just need a bit more shape in a garment.
Whilst this is undoubtedly a trainwreck of a garment, it’s all good! This has been a great and worthwhile process for me.
Over the last year I’ve gained quite a bit of weight….you can hardly have missed it. Mostly this has been driven by medication impacting on appetite, quite a bit of it steroid based because of my repeated bouts of bronchitis and accompanying chest infections.
(Cue too many cakes and too much pasta!)
These chest problems have also severely limited my ability to exercise, as has a very frozen shoulder for the last 6 months.
My changed shape size has undoubtedly knocked my sewing mojo. I’m not overly inclined to sew for myself at this size as I’m determined that this isn’t a permanent state of affairs. Getting back to full health/fitness is a huge priority for me. It seems such a waste of fabric…which is frankly crazy. I still need stuff to wear…
My judgement as to what suits me is also off at the moment. The photos above evidence that.
However….I do know that I’m glad I tried this pattern. I bought it on sale and the fabric was very inexpensive too. So it was an experiment that cost me a little money, a little time, but has taught me to really trust my instincts.
If I listen to myself I know what suits me. It comes back to the work I did with Wardrobe Architect last year. I need to revisit this because, even with this fuller shape, the principles still apply.
So that’s what I’m going to do. I spent some time this past week sorting fabric and patterns in my stash. Some are to go into storage until I have my new sewing room up and running, hopefully by the end of the year. These are mainly lovely vintage winter fabrics…I see some beautiful jackets in my Winter 2015 wardrobe.
Others are patterns that I’m planning to build my Summer 2015 wardrobe around. I have a few fabrics that I’ve been hoarding for too long….and a pile of patterns that had me exclaiming over and over again “oh! I’d forgotten I had that!”.
It’s time to build a plan, I think. I’ll be back with that soon….and a much more successful make!