I’ve made a start on the first of my planned TNT patterns, which is this BurdaStyle slim legged trouser.
The fabric I used is a 100% polyester crepe from Abakhan. I’m slowly edging away from polyester, but I’d booked myself onto a Sewing for Fun day at Stitchscape with Celia Banks, and new this was one of the patterns I wanted to work on.
I’d already cut them in a cotton drill but when I’d tacked them together for fitting it was really obvious there was a problem. It turns out the fabric was completely twisted on the grain. So I needed a replacement fabric. And fast.
It had to be navy and this was it!
Whilst it was a bugger to sew, it drapes really nicely and worked well in a pinch for the sewing class.
For the purposes of fitting, I cut without pockets or fly zip and did an invisible zip in the back seam. This isn’t my favourite style of trouser but I believe it’s a great way to simplify the pattern and work on the fit.
Ah…the obligatory derriere shot!
This clearly shows how flat I am at the back. I’m straight up and down with no waist or hips to speak of. This is one of the reasons I have such issues with RTW.
But I’m really happy with the fit at the back. I’m not sure I could get it much better than that.
The front is pretty good too.
All in all I’m quite pleased with these.
I think with a couple of tweaks they’ll be spot on. I definitely need to take the waist in at least 1/2″, maybe as much as 1″.
I also think that I need to drop the waistline by about 1/4 – 1/2″.
And I may scoop that front curve just a smidge too.
Finally, I’d like the leg to be slightly slimmer, as the next pair I make will be the 7/8ths length shown on the pattern and I like a more slender leg for that style of trouser.
But…these are a great pair of smart trousers and a very wearable toile! I’d definitely wear them for formal meetings (although those are few and far between) or, more likely, with a pretty top and my wedding heels (as here) for dinner out with the husband.
Now if only he’d book the table…..