Finally, finally, I’ve done some sewing for me. The sewjo has been on the missing list for far too long where I’m concerned, but last week it returned with a vengeance.
I’d been toying with buying the Sutton Blouse pattern from True Bias
Saving pennies wasn’t the only consideration; the sizing of the Simplicity pattern meant that I could get straight to sewing with minimal fuss. Aside from the time taken to tape the Sutton PDF together, I’d also have needed to do some grading as I fall outside their size range at the moment.
It was a complete no brainer!
I’ve made them both up using the hemline of version B and the sleeves of version A without the cuffs.
The first version is made up in a poly georgette from Abakhan that I bought ages ago from their oddments bin. I swear I didn’t pay more than £5 for this. In fact £2.50 is lurking in my head. I really must get better at recording this stuff. It was a beast to sew with…a very slippery customer…but is lovely to wear and the perfect fabric for this top.
S1660 is a really easy sew and, for once, I did things right and checked my measurements against the finished measurements and cut my size accordingly. The only adjustment I made to the pattern was to add 2″ to the length. The neckline is a bit closer on me than the diagram, so I shaved 1/2″ off the neckline on the second version. I think I need to shave at least another 1/2″ off future iterations as you’ll see.
The back has this cute overlapping v-neck and slight gathering into the yoke. The sleeves are cut as one with the body.
This is such a quick sew. Even with the fiddly fabric this was sewn in an afternoon.
Which was why I quickly cut out a second version from a fabric I’ve had in my stash for For. Ever! Christmas 2012 to be precise!
It’s a wonderful fabric to sew with, but be warned it creases almost as much as linen!
These pictures show how fabric choice influences how a pattern turns out. The poly georgette is one of the recommended fabrics on the pattern envelope. The voile is possibly just a wee bit structured for this blouse, but I still think it’s quite successful.
Summer tops are scarce in my wardrobe at the moment so both of these tops are in very heavy rotation until my next project is done. I’ve got Butterick 6024 cut out and ready to sew.