You may have had a version of this post pop up in your reader yesterday. Ooops! I had a WordPress Meltdown Moment, for which I apologise. This is the post I meant to publish.
Ok…I finally get to spill the beans. I, dear reader, am having my Cake and eating it.
I can hardly believe it. You know I love Red Velvet. It was our wedding cake, for goodness sake!
But here am I wearing my red Red Velvet dress…so it must be true!
I’ve had so much fun making this dress. Obviously I made mine from the PDF version. I know many folks don’t like PDFs, but, Steph has spent so much time working on the fine details of this that I think even the most die-hard PDF-phobes could be persuaded to use them.
This pattern is as close to perfection as a PDF is going to get because you don’t have to print off 732 pages just to get the ones you need. Steph has done all the work and tells you which page ranges you need to print for the size you want to make.
It’s genius. And time/paper/ink saving too.
And the tiling on this pattern is fabulous. It goes together perfectly and therefore quickly, meaning you can get on with cutting out and sewing your dress, rather than swearing at piles of paper and setting fire to your sewing room in frustration.
Secondly, the drafting and sizing are amazing. Below is a little table that shows a comparison between my sizes and the pattern sizes:
|on my body
|on Red Velvet
Because all the information is there for you, printed on the pattern, it’s so easy to work out what, if any, alterations you need to make.
Now, this is where it gets interesting. My original alterations were 1″ added to the bust length because I have, ahem, a bosom, and 1″ removed from the waistband depth because I’m very short waisted.
This is Red V1.0. Almost straight out of the “envelope”. Almost perfect apart from a little bunching around the underarm.
I have pattern tested before and am used to working exactly to the pattern with only minimal, or even no, alterations. My job is usually to check out how the PDF goes together and how the pattern itself sews up. Steph takes a more collaborative approach, and with her guidance and blessing, I cured that bunching at the side of the bust very quickly and easily.
I removed the 1″ from the back bodice that I’d added to the original length. I carried this around to the front bodice at the side seam, and then tapered out to the seam at the pleats.
Its called a Deep Bust Alteration and Steph explains is far more elegantly than I do over on her new, and fabulously detailed Red Velvet Measurement and Size Guide.
This is how my dress looks now. Red V2.0.
And because the drafting is superb, the dress comes together quickly and easily. If you’re used to battling the wonky drafting that we often encounter in the Big 4 pattern offerings, this will come as a delightful surprise.
Also, Steph has written excellent instructions that, if you’re a beginner sewist, will walk you through the process from start to finish. However if, like me, you’ve been around the sewing block once or twice, her tips and techniques are a wonderful reminder of things you may have forgotten, such as block fusing and under-stitching a neckline.
Either way, you’re not alone in the sewing room.
My fabric is a red ponte from my local sewing shop, The Buttonhole in Chorley. Without a cardigan to break up the lines, and because I’m not skinny, it’s a whole lot of red! But, for me this isn’t a bad thing. The world in my neck of the woods gets awfully grey at this time of the year, as you can see from the morning photos above. A boldly coloured dress is the perfect antidote to that. And, with a cardigan, it’s just to adorable for words!
Yeah I’m happy. I love this dress. The Husband loves this dress. I can see it getting lots of wear this autumn because it’s as comfortable as pyjamas.
But pyjamas you can do the school run in:
And if that wasn’t enough….
There’s a whole Red Velvet Collection.
I know…so cool.
I’ve already got fabric on order for the Cocoa Shrug and cannot wait to give the innovative Espresso Leggings pattern a whirl.
I love leggings (and would probably live in them given the chance) but have trouble getting them long enough or in a fabric that doesn’t show your pants every time you move.
I also quite fancy making these as funky training leggings for CrossFit.
So much Cake, so little time. And not a calorie in sight!
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this pattern in return for my opinions and photos. All opinions, of course, are entirely my own. I should also tell you that going forwards I’ll be the UK/EU distributor for Cake Patterns. So exciting!