Having had a missing sewjo for most of the early part of this year, lockdown has me back in the sewing room. Sewing up masks for my immediate family got me back at the machine and it went from there.
To make it work I had to add a back seam and a second seam to the neck band. I didn’t think the neck band through at all or I’d have matched it to the shoulder seams. As it is there’s now a seam to front and back. Summer doesn’t mind that at all, so I don’t think I will either. It’s more a note to future me to think before cutting.
I have to tell you that this fabric is an absolute pig to sew! It’s a deep stash poly jersey that I bought about 4 years ago from Guthrie and Ghani on a birthday trip to Birmingham.
I had initially earmarked it for a jacket but decided it was too drapey, and the stripes to finicky for that, so sweaters it became.
And I was right about those white stripes! They are raised and so tricky to match because of that. If you pin them they shift. If you pin them twice, they shift. I ended up sticking them in place with Wonder Tape, pinning, tacking them in place and then sewing. And still some of them shifted. And again…I don’t really care.
I am so hard on myself when sewing if the finished product is not completely perfect. And that perfectionism has been keeping me away from the sewing machine.
I am much less critical of the fit and finish of ready to wear in the price range I can afford. So I’m cutting myself a wee bit of slack. If a man on a galloping horse wouldn’t notice, I’m calling it done!
So this is a perfectly imperfect sweater that my tweenage daughter requested and is happy to wear. Win!
Apologies for the paucity of photos in this post. I’m working from my iPad whilst my Mac awaits a visit to the Apple shop when it reopens. It’s playing shenanigans with the photos. I’ll try and master it in time for the next post!